City Beverage has been family owned and operated since 1949 when founded by Anthony and Kathryn Gimo, and was a distributor exclusively for Ballantine Beer. In 1971, the Gimo’s sold the business to their niece Joyanna Denis and her husband John. The warehouse at the time was a small 5,500 square foot facility.
In 1980, City Beverage built a state of the art 17,000 square foot warehouse at their current location of 525 East 6th Avenue in Altoona to accommodate the growth of Miller Brewing Company and the Stroh Brewery Company. In 1985, City acquired Heineken for three counties and some current Pabst Brewing brands.